Tuesday, May 15, 2012

These Shoes were made for Walking

Our observation of shoes began in the Atlanta airport when Kim's luggage was overweight and she pulled out the stylish (and heavy) blue wedges. I offered to keep them in my carry-on and admitted I'd keep them for myself if they were my size. As fellow admirers of stylish and interesting shoes, Kim, Peggy and I started noticing the diverse styles worn by the Chinese women and tourists; I photographed them. The trend has caught on and now all in our group are "spotters" and get my attention when picture-worthy shoes appear. - Paige

What's amazing is that these women walk all day, up steep steps, and over uneven pavement in these shoes. Alice, our expert on Chinese culture, told us that the women endure the discomfort and pain because they want to be taller. Being tall is considered desirable. The actual styling of the shoes is a secondary consideration. - ---Peggy

2 comments:

John Hadley Strange said...

And they walk in them? Cropping bad on top photo. Need to see more.

Anonymous said...

in my personal opinion, most of Chinese girls love to be apprecaited their nice figures. Being a little taller with high heeled shoes could make thier figure more attractive. Also, they love fashion and try to be different from others. Alice Zhou from China