Monday, June 4, 2012

What do China and the Banjo have in common?

I know it sounds like the start of a bad joke, but stay with me. I was searching NPR for the link to a story I heard this afternoon about Chinese students attending high school in Michigan...to send to my dean, when I ran across "What do China and the Banjo Have in Common?" It sounded quirky, so I opened the video and watched. It blew me away, and yes, it's sappy, but I teared up when the artist spoke the lyrics to the first song in English. She echos my sentiments. It's ten minutes. Watch it.



http://www.npr.org/2012/06/01/153701420/what-do-china-and-the-banjo-have-in-common

Oh, and I did find the original piece I was searching for -- also worth a listen: http://www.npr.org/2012/06/04/154008997/high-school-draws-chinese-students-tuition-dollars

Peggy

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this Peggy; excellent find!! I will require my daughters and students to watch this....it is beautiful and art education!
"The Power of Music"

Anthony said...

Wow, this IS beautiful. Paige was telling me about this earlier today. She commented on what a good team you two were because of your power of words and hers of photography. I just graduated, and I am excited to get started. However, this time that I have... this time with no pressure, just dreaming about what is next-- I can feel myself healing, growing, and stripping away my expectations that I have for myself. The more testaments that I hear or read, like this one that you have shared, the more I feel excited about letting go of my plan, and just enjoying what life has in store for me.

Thank both of you for being the explorers that you are. I hope that I can release enough of my 'change the world' attitude so that I can fully enjoy each opportunity that comes my way, and discover, refine, and share my gift whether it be photography, writing, or banjo.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for checking out this post Anthony. I knew YOU would find it inspiring. My advice is to continue your passionate approach to life's experiences, and plan, but be open to the beauty of the unintended consequences and consideration of detours and alternative paths along the way.